Man who raped a woman he met on a dating app ‘persisted under the illusion that what he did was okay’

A man raped a woman in her home after meeting her on a dating site. Michael Collins has been locked up for eight years following the assault of his victim, whom he met on Plenty of Fish.

The incident happened in 2016. Collins, now 28, visited the woman after contacting her online. Minshull Street Crown Court heard the victim think he was picking her up for a date.

They stayed with the woman. After watching TV, they kissed, which was consensual, the court heard.

READ MORE: Doctor admits killing patient who died after ‘medical intervention’ at Oldham Hospital

Collins then attempted to put his hand under the woman’s breast. She said no – and told him she didn’t want to have sex. He continued to touch her, despite her protests. He sexually assaulted and raped her.

The court heard Collins say, “For the love of shit, it took me an hour to get you through this.” He repeatedly told her that she was “p*****g him off” and that she was “lazy”.

The victim, the court heard, suffered psychologically, left the home and now suffers from anxiety. In defence, Richard Orme told the court that Collins, originally from Ireland, came from a “family-centred” community. He followed his parents to Manchester to “make his life in the UK”.

Recorder Abigail sentenced Collin to eight years. She said: “It was your intention to have sex, consent was totally irrelevant.”

She said while Collins ‘may have matured’, the fact that he ‘persisted in the illusion that what he did was okay’ meant he was still a ‘risk’ and should be kept. behind bars.

Collins, of Craig Road, Gorton was convicted of two counts of rape; sexual assault; and causing a person to engage in sexual activity without their consent. He was ordered to sign the sex offender register for life.

Following the case, DC Martyn Bateman, of GMP’s Manchester City CID, said: “Despite being told no, Collins forced himself on this woman to satisfy her sexual desires. Sexual offenses often have a lifelong impact on victims but hopefully today’s outcome will provide it with a level of closure.

“I also hope this case will build public confidence that, while these cases may take some time, GMP is committed to bringing offenders to justice by launching thorough investigations that gather all the evidence to obtain the best possible result.”

Comments are closed.